Monday, December 14, 2015

The Social Media Dis


Sigh. Apparently I’ve offended someone again and been…gasp…deleted on Facebook. 

I’ll be the first to admit that I’ve never been able to get along with very many girls. I have a couple of good friends, my sister, and my mother. Of course the last two had some bumps in the road as I was growing up but hey, hormones suck. I’ve always kept my group very small to begin with and that group usually tends to be dominated by the opposite sex. No, I’m not a whore and no, I’m not one of those girls that got a boyfriend and demanded that I be with him and his friends 24/7. I have just always gotten along with men a lot easier than women, which caused a lot of problems when I was still in school. Instead of being smart about the situation and getting good with me so I could put in a good word, I got looks of hatred thrown my way and rumors spread. But any who – fast forward an undisclosed amount of years later and I’m still offending the female population every second of my life, apparently. 

Now, if you remember I admitted to deleting a few people myself while pregnant. I whole heartedly believe that if someone is bringing negativity into your life you have to nip that shit in the bud. HOWEVER, I have common sense and common curtesy, and would never delete someone that would cause even more drama. That is what the HIDE option is for. Family members, close friends, and significant others of close friends should never be deleted unless you are prepared to walk away for good. Social media is a sad, stupid little thing that means a lot to people. Being deleted is, essentially, telling someone that they are not wanted around. End of story. 

I’ve been ignored, I’ve been deleted, I’ve been told straight to my face that we aren’t friends anymore and I’ve done them all too. I’ve spent far too many years of my life learning to love myself for who I am, every ounce of sarcastic bitch that I am, to waste my time chasing love, attention, and respect from those that don’t want to share. I have been used so many times in my life that I won’t spend a minute of my time worrying about what I may have done to hurt the already oversensitive. And I won’t bat an eyelash at walking away from a negative situation and shutting the door on bad friendships and relationships. However, when someone’s insecurities about my opinions that may or may not actually be aimed towards them starts affecting the relationships of those around me…well, we’re going to have a problem. 

In a world run by social media and people constantly sharing their opinions on even the smallest detail of life, adults have a greater platform to continue to act like children. We all have our immature moments, but there are people that are heading to, are well in, or even have already greatly exceeded their 30s that still acting as if they are in their early teens jumping at the chance to spread their childish ways all over the internet at rapid speed. There is a daily opportunity to make every decision public knowledge and they just can’t wait to drag everyone into the whirlwind of naivety and toss out a dose of good old fashioned drama with a swipe of the keyboard.

 

I can’t help but wonder, at what age to grow up and lose the highschool mentality?  

No comments:

Post a Comment